Short Biography of Hubert J.M. Hermans
- Click here for the three different phases in Hubert’s 40 year-professional career.
- Affiliation: Emeritus-professor of psychology at the Radboud University, Nijmegen, The Netherlands
- Born: Maastricht, the Netherlands, as the oldest son of a local baker who made excellent pies
- Marriages: In 1961 he married Els Hermans-Jansen with whom he cooperated in the development of the Self-Confrontation Method. From 2008-2013 he was married to Agnieszka Hermans-Konopka with whom he continues to cooperate on the further development of Dialogical Self Theory. Hubert has two children and two grand-children from his first marriage.
– Gymnasium alpha (high school), Hendrik van Veldeke College in Maastricht (1951-1958)
– Student of psychology at the University of Nijmegen (1960-1965)
– Doctoral degree at the University of Nijmegen (1967)
- Professional Career:
– Staff member at the Psychological Laboratory at the University of Nijmegen (1965)
– Associate Professor at the University of Nijmegen (1972)
– Full Professor at the University of Nijmegen (1980-2002)
Career Related Activities:
– Guest Professor at the University of Louvain (1975)
– Guest Professor at Duquesne University at Pittsburgh (1979)
– Chairman of the Advisory Committee of the Han Fortmann Centre in Nijmegen (1980-2002)
– Chairman of the Valuation Theory and Self-Confrontation Foundation (1992-2009)
– Teacher in the Self-Confrontation Method training program (2009- )
– Chairman of the First (Nijmegen, The Netherlands, 2000), Second (Ghent, Belgium, 2002), Third (Warsaw, Poland, 2004), Fourth (Braga, Portugal, 2006), Fifth (Cambridge, UK, 2008), Sixth, (Athens, Greece, 2010), Seventh (Georgia, USA), Eighth (The Hague, 2014), Ninth International Conference on the Dialogical Self (Lublin, Poland, 2016), 10th International Conference on the Dialogical self (Braga, Portugal). The 11th International Conference on the Dialogical Self is scheduled 10-13 June (Barcelona, Spain) (website follows).
– President of the International Society for Dialogical Science (ISDS) (2002-)
– Chief Editor of the International Journal for Dialogical Science (IJDS) (2005-2018)
– Together with colleagues, he established the International Society for Dialogical Science (2002-) which organizes international conferences on the dialogical self and is preparing a listserv for realizing international contacts between members.
– He is associate editor for the section Dialogical Self Theory of the Journal of Constructivist Psychology.
Honors and Awards:
– First International Associate of the Society for Personology (USA) (1992-2010)
– Address to the Queen of the Netherlands and Representatives of science, art and politics (1993)
– Quality of research rated as “excellent” by two subsequent international committees for the evaluation of research programs of Dutch universities (1994 and 1999)
– Knight in the Order of the Netherlands Lion (Ridder in de Orde van de Nederlandse Leeuw): decoration received in the name of the Queen of the Netherlands for exceptional scientific achievements in the service of society (2002)
– Honorary member of the Dutch Assocation of SCM Practitioners (2007)
– His book Dialoog en Misverstand (2006) was used by Herman Wijffels during the preparation of the Dutch government (Balkenende 4, 2007)
– Honorary Associate of the Taos Institute (2012)
– One of the 10 living Dutch psychologists nominated for the nobel prize of psychology (if it would exist), an experiment by the Netherlands Institute of Psychologists. Published in De Psycholoog, no. 10, 2015, pp. 45-49.
– Elected as Foreign Member of the Royal Flemish Academy of Belgium for Science and the Arts (2017).
– The Radboud University of Nijmegen, The Netherlands, has officially decided to establish a professorial chair titled “Foundations of Dialogical Self Theory (DST).” It is a so-called “special chair” for one day a week.The chair will be located in the Faculty of Philosophy, Theology, and Religious Studies of the Radboud University.
- Member of Editorial Board:
– Culture & Psychology
– European Journal of School Psychology
– Theory & Psychology
– The Narrative Study of Lives
– Journal of Constructivist Psychology
– Polish Psychological Bulletin
– Revista de Psicopatologia Y Clinica
– Human Systems: Journal of Therapy,
– Consultation and Training Significant (electronic journal)
- H.J.M. Hermans in Wikipedia/English
- H.J.M. Hermans in Wikipedia/Nederlands
- Dialogical self in Wikipedia/English
- Dialogical Practice Network- Theory and Practice
- Semi-autobiographical book ‘Between Dreaming and Recognition Seeking: The Emergence of Dialogical Self Theory‘